MPhil Lond, MA Oxf
Emeritus Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford
Emeritus Professor of the Arts of the Renaissance, University of Oxford
Born 8 April 1950 (Godalming, England). British citizen.
Educated: Winchester College; the Mercersburg Academy, USA (English-Speaking Union exchange scholar); Corpus Christi College, Oxford (First class, Classical Moderations 1969; First class, BA English Language and Literature 1973); Warburg Institute, University of London (M. Phil., Combined Historical Studies, the Renaissance, 1976); Department of Museum Studies, University of Leicester 1976-7.
- Research Assistant, Dept of Weapons & Antiquities, National Maritime Museum, 1977-79. Assistant Keeper (Curator of Renaissance collections), Dept of Medieval & Later Antiquities, British Museum, 1979-90
- Fellow of Villa I Tatti, Florence (Harvard University), 1984.
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, 1989 – 2016.
- Professorial Fellow of Balliol College, 1989 – 2017; Emeritus Fellow, 2017 – present; now Emeritus Fellow
- Professor of the Arts of the Renaissance, University of Oxford, 2010-18
- Keeper of Western Art, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, 1990 – 2013.
- Barrie and Deedee Wigmore Research Keeper, Department of Western Art, Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, 2013 – 17; Honorary Curator, 2017 – present.
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers, 1991.
- Academician of the Accademia Raffaello, Urbino, Italy, 2003.
- Honorary Academician of the Accademia di Belle Arti Pietro Vannucci, Perugia, Italy, 2009.
- Member of Editorial Committee of the journal Faenza (Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche, Faenza), Italy, 2005 – present.
- Member of Editorial Committee of the journal Schifanoia (Istituto di Studi Rinascimentali, Ferrara, Italy), 2010.
- Trustee of the Ruskin Foundation, 1994-2000.
- Visiting Professor at the Cooper Hewitt Institute (Smithsonian Institution), New York, 1997.
- Member of the Art Advisory Committee, University of Wales at Aberystwyth, to 2015.
- Member of the Public Arts Advisory Committee, University of Lancaster, 2007-9.
- Trustee of the Oxford Preservation Trust, 2006 – 2016.
- Trustee of the Oxford Civic Society, 2017 – 2019
- Trustee of the Cartoon Art Trust, 2010 – 2015.
- Trustee of the Radcliffe Trust, 2011 – present.
- Honorary member of the Gruppo Archeologico Montelupino and of various Italian organizations promoting the study of Italian pottery.
- Senior Fellow, Frick Center for the History of Collecting, New York, 2012
- Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers of London, 2017
- President, Oxford Ceramics Group, 2019-present